Monkey-Shaped Pasta Recipe
This new friend loves helping your children enjoy eating their vegetables. You can swap out the Prego sauce for white clam sauce, sauteed garlic and broccoli, or even prawns. For the health-conscious, you can use whole wheat spaghetti to pack even more goodness into the dish.
The next time I make this spaghetti dish, I'm going to use a Pretzel stick to make a "smoking pipe". I might even sprinkle in some pepper for that freckled look.
Now, on to the recipe!
- STep-by-step InSTRuctions
- 1 pack of spaghetti noodles
- 1 can of frozen mixed vegetables
- 1 can of whole kernel corn
- 1 cup of traditional Prego sauce
- 1 cup of kidney beans (canned or cooked fresh)
- 1 cup of melted butter
- 1 tomato
- 1 parsley stem
- 2 slices of fresh carrots (or use sliced carrots from can)
- 3 black olives
Prep time: 20 mins
Cook time: 10 mins
Total time: 30 mins
- In a medium-sized saucepan, bring 4 to 5 quarts of water to a rolling boil. Add 4 tablespoons of salt to water. Once water comes to a boil, add pasta and stir to prevent sticking. Allow pasta to cook for 10 minutes or until tender.
- While pasta is cooking, heat up Prego sauce.
- Next, remove kidney beans from can (or water if you cooked them fresh) and drain. Pat dry and set aside.
- Defrost frozen mixed vegetables. Pat dry and set aside.
- Slice tomato and remove the insides, including the seeds. Cut tomato into medium-sized squares. One of these will form the monkey's tongue.
- Cut 1 black olive in half. Using a small knife, cut circles until two rings are left. These will form the nostrils.
- Pull out the leaves from the parsley stem. Discard stem.
- After pasta has cooked to desired tenderness, drain and place back into saucepan. Add melted butter and a pinch of salt. Toss to coat pasta in butter.
- Reserve two individual strands of pasta. Arrange the remaining noodles into a pile at the middle portion of serving plate. Form a hole at the bottom of the pile. This will create the monkey's head and mouth.
- Use the individual strands of pasta to form ears at each side of the head. Fill in the ears with Prego sauce.
- Arrange some kidney beans in four rows at the top of the monkey's head to form a hat. Put one parsley leaf at the left corner of the kidney beans.
- Place two slices of carrots on the monkey's head to form eyes. Place 2 black olives on top of the carrots, toward the center, to complete the eyes.
- Arrange the olive rings a little below the eyes to complete the nostrils.
- Use 5 to 6 kernels of corn to form teeth on the top and bottom of your open space within the noodles.
- Arrange one sliced tomato square at the left bottom row of teeth, overlapping the pasta, to form the tongue.
- Spread mixed vegetables along the bottom of your spaghetti noodles.
- Lunch is now ready!
If you want to look at more creative ways to play with pasta, remember to check out the rest of this post.