Monkey-Shaped Ham and Cheese Sandwich Recipe
Sandwiches are simple affairs and can be whipped up in less than 10 minutes. If you wish to, you can butter the bread before placing a cheese slice on top. Alternatively, you may also opt to lightly toast the bread if time permits. With a little thinking out-of-the-box, you can also create a baby monkey riding on his mom’s back out of ham slices!
Be sure to have a look at the rest of the pictures here for more creative food art ideas.
- STep-by-step InSTRuctions
- 1 slice of white bread (can also use wheat bread)
- 1 cheddar cheese slice
- 1 Pretzel stick
- 1 black olive, halved
- 1 tomato, cut into strips
- 2 lettuce leaves
- 2 green pitted olives
- 2 chives, sliced into 1-inch pieces
- 3 to 4 baked ham slices
- A handful of fresh dill
Prep time: 25 mins
- Wash green olives and black olives and pat them dry with a paper towel.
- Cut chives into 1-inch pieces. One of these will form the monkey's nose bridge.
- Dice tomato into small triangle shapes. One of these will form the monkey's mouth.
- Cut two long slices of ham into approximately 1-inches each. These will form the monkey's back-legs.
- Cut two more long slices of ham into approximately 2-inches each. These will form the monkey's forelegs.
- Cut out a small, oval-shaped piece of ham. This will form the monkey's body.
- Cut a wider, oval-shaped piece of ham. This will form the monkey's face.
- Cut two crescent-shaped pieces of ham for ears. Cut 2 more bigger round pieces of ham to go under the crescent ears.
- Cut a thin, long strip of ham for the tail.
- Cut a very small triangle from ham to form the monkey's nose.
- Dice black olives into small pieces. Fit two of these inside two green olives. These will form the monkey's eyes.
- Place one slice of bread on top of lettuce leaf. Next, layer a slice of cheese onto bread.
- Place the large oval-shaped piece of ham (the face) toward the top right hand corner of the bread, on top of the cheese slice.
- Arrange the monkey's ears at the sides of its face.
- Place green olives, filled with the black olives, toward the top of the monkey's face. This completes the eyes.
- Place one small triangle-shaped ham below the green olives. Next, put a chive piece vertical from the tip of the triangle. Place a small tomato triangle at the end of the chive piece. This completes the monkey's face.
- Place the monkey's body diagonally from the bottom edge of the the face. Arrange the monkey's back-legs and forelegs accordingly.
- Take the long strip of ham and wrap one end around a pretzel stick. This completes the tail.
- Place the pretzel stick, with ham wrapped around it, at the top left hand corner of the bread pointed diagonally (the same way the body is pointed). Run the ham tail strip down from the pretzel to the back of the monkey's body.
- Place a small bundle of dill at the top of the head, with it overlapping over the pretzel stick, to form the monkey's hair.