Frog King Sandwich Recipe
It’s interesting to discover how some people can make food come alive. Give them some carrots, cucumbers, cherry tomatoes and salami, and before you know it… Boom! A Frog King appears.
What I like about this dish is the use of lettuce leaves to create the impression of a frog standing atop a lily pad. That's as close to nature as one might get!
Bringing food to life means you don't have to follow any recipe strictly. So, instead of using shredded carrots here, you can swap those out for yummy bread-sticks. Or how about swapping out the yellow corn teeth for sharp cucumber fangs instead?
If you need more food art ideas for lunch, be sure to check out the rest of the pictures here.
- STep-by-step InSTRuctions
- 1 sesame seed bun
- 2 cherry tomatoes
- 2 eggs
- 2 aniseeds
- 1 cucumber
- 1 carrot
- 1 slice of salami
- 1/4 cup of whole kernel corn
- 2 lettuce leaves
Prep time: 25 mins
Cook time: 10 mins
Total time: 35 mins
- In a medium-sized saucepan, boil eggs until cooked. This will take approximately 10 minutes for hard-boiled eggs.
- Cut a 2-inch piece from the cucumber. Using a small knife, cut ridges to create the frog king's crown. Cut the rest of the cucumber into slices.
- Slice the sesame bun crosswise into halves.
- Put lettuce on a serving dish. Place the bottom half of the bun on top of the lettuce.
- Next, layer salami slices on the bottom half of the bun. Add in the cucumber slices.
- Once your hard-boiled egg is ready, slice it into 1-inch strips. Arrange these strips around the edge of the bun. Once that is done, cover everything with the top half of the bun.
- Arrange kernels of corn on top of the salami, along the edge of the bun, to form teeth.
- Slice carrot into long, thin strips and then arrange them on top of bread.
- Put the cucumber crown on top of the carrot strips.
- Poke 1 aniseed into each cherry tomato. This will form the frog's eyeballs. Next, use a toothpick to secure the cherry tomatoes into the bun to complete the frog's eyes.