Friendly Cow Sandwich Recipe
If salami or pepperoni aren't your favorite foods, you can replace the nostrils with cheese instead. A slice or two of provolone can be really yummy without messing with the look of the cow too much. You can also consider using different combinations of bread colors to recreate different cow breeds as well.
For example, by using dark colored bread for the head and slices of mozzarella cheese for spots, you’ll be able to re-create a Holstein cow (the black and white spotted ones that we’re all so familiar with).
For other sandwich ideas, be sure to head over to this post.
- STep-by-step InSTRuctions
- 1 thin slice of Italian bread
- 1 lettuce leaf
- 1 slice of deli turkey meat (or chicken)
- 3 slices of salami (can be substituted with pepperoni)
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 2 slices of red bell pepper
- 1 black olive, sliced in halves
- 2 green olives slices
- 2 slices of American-style Pumpernickel bread (can be substituted with rye)
Prep time: 10 mins
- Cut one slice of Pumpernickel bread into quarters.
- Use one quarter of Pumpernickel bread to form a star. This will form the cow's hair. Place lettuce on your serving plate.
- Place an Italian bread slice on top of the lettuce.
- Cut one salami slice into a rectangle. This will form the cow's tongue. Next, place the rectangle salami slice at the bottom of the Italian bread slice.
- Place deli ham on top of salami rectangle, covering only a portion of salami slice since we want to be able to see the cow's tongue.
- Place the other two salami slices on top of the turkey deli meat. Place the two green olive slices at the bottom of each salami slice. Place one of the red bell pepper slices with each end into the green olives. This completes the cow's nose.
- Place two spots of mayonnaise at the top of the deli slice to form eyes. Place 2 olive halves on top of the mayonnaise to complete eyes.
- Place the star-shaped Pumpernickel bread at the center of the top of the Italian bread. This complete's the cow's hair.
- Cut the remaining bell pepper slice into half and place each half on the sides of the Italian bread top in order to form the horns.
- Place two halves of the Pumpernickel bread on each side to form ears, with flat sides pointing downward.
- Enjoy your cow-shaped sandwich!