Flags of the World Sandwiches Recipe
I know the French flag doesn't look quite right. It's supposed to be blue where the purple is on the left. But let's just say chopped purple cabbages were used solely for demonstration purposes. If you're aiming for a more authentic look, you can always swap those out for blueberries.
When you have ingredients such as cabbages, onions, tomatoes, corn, peas, and black olives, what's the first thing that comes to mind? Yep, salad! And a salad dish is only as good as its ingredients PLUS the type of dressing used. Therefore, you may want to toss these ingredients with some olive oil or almond oil before layering them onto your sandwich.
Alternatively, you can create your own mixtures. For example, you can use some salt and pepper to spice things up a little or squeeze some lemon zest on the chopped ingredients before placing them on your bread slices.
If you're really looking to go big on flavor, consider mixing your ingredients with vinaigrette, lemon juice, garlic, oregano, salt, and pepper. A little bit of sugar or mayonnaise might work too. Just remember not to jumble the ingredients together with your dressing since you'll need to spread the ingredients out individually to create your flag sandwiches.
For other sandwich ideas, be sure to refer to the rest of my post here.
- STep-by-step InSTRuctions
- 6 bread slices
- 3 cups of purple cabbage, chopped
- 1 cup of imitation crab meat
- 1 cup of English peas
- 1 cup of whole kernel corn
- 3 cups of ketchup
- 5 cups of diced white onion (you can also substitute the onions with cottage cheese)
- 1 cup of diced black olives
- 2 cups of diced tomatoes
Prep time: 10 mins per sandwich
Cook time: 15 mins
Total time: 25 mins
American Flag Sandwich:
- For the first and probably most well-known flag in the world, the American flag, you'll only need purple cabbage, diced tomatoes, and diced white onions.
- Form a square at the top left hand corner of the bread slice with purple cabbage (approximately 1/4 cup).
- Layer diced tomatoes and diced onions in alternating rows to form stripes of the flag until the bread slice is covered.
Italian Flag Sandwich:
- For this Italian flag sandwich, you'll need English peas, diced onions, and ketchup.
- Create three even, vertical rows on a bread slice, beginning with a row of English peas. The second row should consist of diced onions. Finally, use ketchup to complete the third row.
- Although it was a short trip to Italy, time to leave the snow shoes and head for Big Ben in the United Kingdom.
Union Jack Flag Sandwich (United Kingdom):
- Layer the entire bread slice with 1 cup of chopped purple cabbage.
- Slice the imitation crab meat into three 1/4-inch wide pieces to form a red cross. Next, take the remaining crab meat and cut them into thin strips.
- On top of the cabbage, lay one 1/4-wide piece of imitation crab meat down the center vertically. Take the other 2 pieces of crab meat that are also 1/4-inch wide and place them in the center, going horizontally across the cabbage and bread slice. This completes the cross.
- Take the remaining thin strips of crab meat and place them diagonally along the corners of the flag, going from the center to each bread corner.
- There you have it! Your visit is done and it's time to board your plane to Germany. Say goodbye to Britain… it's time to head across the borders.
German Flag Sandwich:
- For the German flag sandwich, you'll need diced black olives, ketchup, and whole kernel corn.
- Make three even, horizontal rows on a bread slice. The first row should include diced black olives. The middle row should be layered with ketchup, and the third row consists of an evenly placed row of whole kernel corn.
- Enjoy your German-inspired sandwich as you journey to the Pearl of the Orient: Japan!
Japanese Flag Sandwich:
- For the Japanese flag, cover the bread slice with diced onions. Place an even, large circle in the center of the onions with ketchup. There you have it. Fast and easy!
French Flag Sandwich:
- You'll end your flags of various countries with the French flag. Simply make three even, vertical rows of chopped purple cabbage, onions, and ketchup.
- Welcome to France!