Crazy Monkey Sandwich Recipe
This monkey sandwich is for anyone looking to create healthy, yummy lunches. Do include a veggie dip such as ranch dressing, yogurt, or some parsley hummus to go along with this meal. Your choices aren't just limited to just those dressings, though, since a creamy watercress dip or honey mustard mixture are other things you can try.
In this recipe, I used baked bread filled with nuts. You can butter the insides for added flavor or just eat the bread as it is. I like the idea of including a small bunch of grapes for hair too. However, if it's not grapes season, you can always swap those out for blueberries, cherries, or even seaweed to make this monkey look even crazier.
For other interesting animals you can create from food, please refer to this post.
- STep-by-step InSTRuctions
- 1 baked bread filled with nuts and sesame seeds
- 1 handful of fresh spinach leaves
- 1 tomato
- 1 small bundle of grapes
- 2 carrot slices (from can)
- 3 cucumber slices
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 2 celery stems
Prep time: 20 mins
- Cut celery stems into four equal 1-inch tall pieces.
- Cut bread in the center with just enough room to put the celery stems inside. Make sure not to slice the bread all the way through.
- Slice tomato in half. This will form the monkey's eyes.
- Cut cucumber slices in half. This will form the ears and nose.
- Arrange spinach leaves on serving plate. Next, place the bread with the celery stems on top of the spinach.
- Secure 2 tomato slices at the top of the bun with toothpicks. This will complete your monkey's eyes.
- Using another toothpick, secure one slice of cucumber down the center of the tomatoes to form nose.
- Using the remaining toothpicks, secure 2 cucumber slices on each side of the bread. These will form the monkey's ears.
- Place two carrot slices on top of the tomato eyes.
- Place the bundle of grapes at the top of the bun, draping down one side.
- Serve with a veggie dip.