Crazy Family Sandwiches Recipe
With these sandwiches, you can have family fun at any time of the day. Even the most finicky eater will enjoy taking a bite out of one of these colorful and kooky sandwiches. I used mayonnaise, salt, and a pinch of pepper to add flavor to the sandwiches when I made them. But even without those, they’re still full of fun and flavor.
Get more creative food art ideas here.
- STep-by-step InSTRuctions
- 2 slices of rye bread
- 2 slices of multi grain bread
- 1 white, round, bread bun
- 3 slices of cucumbers
- 2 cherry tomatoes
- 1 slice of large tomato
- 1 slice of Swiss cheese
- 1 slice of deli ham or turkey
- 1 slice of deli bologna or ham
- 1 slice of deli chicken
- 6 radish slices
- 4 chives
- 1 green onion
- 3 lettuce leaves
- 2 capers
- 2 pimentos
- 2 carrot slices (out of can or raw)
- 2 tangerine slices
- 1 slice of yellow bell pepper
- 1 slice of American cheese
Prep time: 30 mins
- On the rye bread, take one slice of Swiss cheese and place on the bottom, at an angle from the bread so the edges hang over the bread. Place tomato slice on top of cheese. Place slice of deli chicken on the sandwich.
- Dice the green onion.
- Take 2 slices of cucumbers and place them at the top of the bread.
- Place a slice of radish on each cucumber, forming eyes. Take 2 pieces of diced green onion and place at the edge of the radish slices.
- Dice the yellow bell pepper into even pieces. Take one dice of bell pepper and place just beneath the cucumber eyes to form the nose of your first family member. To complete this new friend, evenly cut the chives into halves and place the chive slices going up from the bread. Reserve 2 chives for another sandwich.
- For the mother of the bunch (the right sandwich), evenly chop chives into quarter pieces.
- Place deli ham or turkey on the bottom of the bread. Fold one side over to form a tongue.
- Place one slice of cucumber at the edge of the sandwich, with only a portion of it showing. Place the bread top on top of the ham and cucumber. Cut only the frilly portion of the lettuce leaf off. Take 2/3 of the fuzzy lettuce top and place along the outline of the top to form hair.
- Secure one cherry tomato toward the end, just above the corner, of the bread with a toothpick. This forms the nose.
- Place two radish slices evenly above the tomato. Place a carrot slice on top of each radish and then top with fennel slices. Place two capers on top of the fennel. Sprinkle the remaining chopped chives along the top to form eye brows.
- Take the smaller bun/roll, and complete the youngest member of your sandwich family (at the top). Place the slice of salami on top of the bottom piece of the bread. Fold one corner inward to form the tongue. Place American cheese slice on top of the meat. Place the top of the roll on top of the cheese.
- Secure cherry tomato in the center of the top with a toothpick.
- Secure the tangerine slices at each side of the tomato with toothpicks.
- Place the green olive slices at the top, with the center open. Place the pimentos inside the circles.
- Place the remaining lettuce grassy portion at the top to form hair.