Crab Sandwich Recipe
From the sea to the land, and then to your child's plate… this fun-looking crab sandwich will give an entirely new meaning to sandwich snacks! This sandwich allows your child the freedom to create his or her own funny face. Just be sure to pre-cut the items for them, especially if they're at the age where using a kitchen knife isn’t advisable.
Ham is used for the legs, and depending on your child's tastes, hard-boiled eggs, onions or a white cheese such as mozzarella can be used for the whites of the eyes. Even honey mustard (or whatever condiment your child prefers) can be squeezed from a bottle to form the crab’s mouth in place of a thin carrot strip.
Like I mentioned in this food art post, a crab not only uses its pincers to fight predators but also to communicate. Another interesting fact to note is that male crabs have larger claws than females. So, let your child know that and get them to create crabs of both genders for lunch!
- STep-by-step InSTRuctions
- 2 white bread slices
- 1 slice of ham
- 1 egg
- 2 slices of black olives
- 1 tomato slice
- 2 cherry tomatoes
- 1 carrot strip
- 3 lettuce leaves
- 4 hot dogs
Prep time: 15 mins
Cook time: 10 mins
Total time: 25 mins
- Place the egg in a medium-sized saucepan and cover with 1-inch of water. Add 1 tablespoon of salt, cover, and bring water to a rolling boil.
- While the egg is cooking, prepare the other ingredients.
- Cut the white bread slices into big circles.
- Cut the ham into a large circle, equal-sized to the bread.
- Cut the hot dogs into strips to form the crab's legs. You can also use ham or other meat to form the legs.
- Cut the cherry tomatoes into halves. These will form the pincers.
- Arrange lettuce leaves on your serving plate. Next, place one bread circle on top of the lettuce.
- Place a tomato slice on the middle-bottom part of the bread. Next, layer a ham slice over the tomato and bread and arrange the remaining bread circle on top of the ham.
- Once the egg has cooked (approximately 10 minutes), turn off heat and run cold water over the egg to stop the cooking process of the egg.
- Peel the egg. After peeling, cut into even halves, discarding the yolk.
- Place the two egg slices on top of the bread to form the crab's eyes. Then place the black olive slices on the egg pieces, one at the bottom and one at the top. This completes the eyes.
- Take 1 carrot strip to form a mouth along the bottom of the bread.
- Place two of the hot dog slices on the sides of the bread to form antennas. Place the cherry tomato slices at the end of the antennas.
- Arrange the remaining hot dogs to form the crab's legs.