Chocolate Tahini Smoothie Recipe
If you're tired of the regular banana, spinach, and carrot smoothies, a chocolate and tahini smoothie would make a great alternative. This rich luscious smoothie is protein rich, energy rich and sugar free.
- STep-by-step InSTRuctions
For the Tahini Paste:
- 1 cup sesame seeds, hulled
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
For the Smoothie:
- A handful of ice cubes
- 1 large frozen banana (optional)
- 1 mejool date, pitted
- 3 tablespoons cacao powder
- 1 teaspoon maca powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 30ml tahini paste
- 3/4 cup coconut milk
- Cacao nibs, desiccated coconut, and 2 candy bars for garnishing
Prep time: 5 mins
Cook time: 5 mins
Total time: 10 mins
Serves: 1 glass
To Make the Tahini Paste:
- Place the sesame seeds in a heavy-duty skillet and heat over medium heat for about 5 minutes. Stir continuously to prevent the seeds from burning. Alternatively, you can toast the sesame seeds in 350-degree preheat oven until they're lightly browned and fragrant. When properly toasted, remove the sesame seeds from oven or heat and set aside to cool completely.
- Grind the toasted and cooled sesame seeds in a powerful blender until they form a crumbly paste.
- Add olive oil and continue processing the seeds until you achieve a thick and smooth paste. Feel free to add more oil until you get your desired consistency.
- Transfer the tahini paste to an airtight jar or container and refrigerate. The paste can remain fresh in the fridge for up to a month.
Now for the Smoothie:
- Blend all of the listed smoothie ingredients including 30ml of the just prepared tahini paste in a high-speed blender until smooth and creamy. For best results, add one ingredient at a time as they appear on the list and blend thoroughly after each addition.
- Transfer the smoothie to tall glasses. Top with a bit of cacao nibs and desiccated coconut, and serve on a tray with candy bars and nuts on the side.
Note: Chocolate tahini smoothie tastes best when fresh. So remember to serve immediately after making it!